Crestwood Mall Developers Want Trader Joe’s (Or Something Like It), Too
Developers for the proposed District at Crestwood said they’ve reached out to specialty chains like Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods to counteract a recent loss in South County grocery retailers. Do you think it’s the right spot for a new store?
Despite a “not now” response from Trader Joe’s, one Affton woman is still heading a community effort to bring the specialty grocer to South St. Louis County.
“I am sort of a the-cup-is-half-full kind of person, and I see this letter as a positive response, a sort of an introduction that we are coming,” Carol Boss writes in an open letter to residents, urging them to sign her petition. She’s gathered more than 1,800 signatures so far and plans to send the petition to the company’s headquarters next week.
But she’s not the only one gunning for them. The developers attempting to revive Crestwood Court said earlier this week they’ve reached out to companies like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods to anchor the retail spaces at the proposed District at Crestwood.
South County could use it. The Sappington Farmers' Market shut down in August. Once Johnny’s Market closes on Oct. 13, the area will have lost approximately 60,000 sq. ft. of grocery shopping space in the past few months, according to commercial realtor John Beckman III, of Sierra U.S. Commercial Real Estate. The realty company is leasing the The District at Crestwood spaces on behalf of Centrum Properties.
The new grocery store could help cushion a potential loss of $20-30 million in annual grocery sales for the area, he said. Brinkman explained they've considered “three genres of grocery, from a discount model to a higher end, local model, then to a national, kind of niche organic concept,” but have not yet secured a tenant. A Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market is also being considered for the space.
Is the location right?
“I would love, love, love a Trader Joe’s there… It is such a different store than Shop N Save, and Aldi,” Sunset Hills-Crestwood Facebook fan Susan Briggs Merz said.
Others, however, think it might be overkill at that particular location, situated near the intersection of Watson and South Sappington roads.
“I love the idea of a Trader Joe’s in South County,” said Laura Main DeWeese, “but do we really need another grocery store right there near Shop & Save and Schnucks and Aldi? With the closing of Johnny’s, that leaves Sunset Hills without any grocery stores at all, doesn’t it?”
But developers believe the elements they've pitched for the new project bring fresh options to the community. (Their proposal would include a more modern bowling alley than Crestwood Bowl, for example.)
“What we feel, what the experts feel, is that competition is good for everyone,” a Centrum rep said during a town hall Q&A on the proposed development Tuesday night.
Boss's online petition asks Trader Joe's to consider a space in the General Grant Shopping Center in Marlborough. Where would you like to see a new grocery store in South County?
- Letter to SunCrest: Help Me Bring Trader Joe's to South County
- Trader Joe’s Rep Says No to Another St. Louis County Location for Now
- Trader Joe's in South County: One Woman's Quest Latest Crestwood Court Proposal Keeps Entertainment Focus
- Local Harvest Aims for October Opening in Kirkwood
- UPDATED: Sappington's Johnny's Market Closing in October
- Sappington Farmers' Market Hopes for Short Goodbye
- Let Patch Give You a Hand with Your Groceries
See More on Patch
- New Walmart Grocer Proposed in South County
- 'Bring Trader Joe's to South County' Names Gift Card Winner
- Community Group Targets Space for Potential Trader Joe's Location
- Centrum Town Hall Addresses Questions About Crestwood Court Redevelopment
- Letter-Writing Effort to Bring Trader Joe's to South County Still Has Steam