Last week, 79-year-old Georgetta, 38-year-old Terry and 11-year-old Maci Gapsch died following a house fire in South County. Georgetta's son, MFPD firefighter Mike Gapsch, was among the first responders to the scene. 13-year-old Sperreng student Mia Gapsch is the sole survivor of the fire.
Stop by the school, 12111 Tesson Ferry Rd., from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m. on Sept. 6 and 7 to get your fill of chicken, pork steak, brats, burgers or hot dogs.
"The Gapsch family has been a pillar of the community for decades and this recent tragedy has saddened all of our hearts. But we know by the outpouring of support that this community is so very caring and giving in nature," according to an event posting from St. Louis County Police.
The event will also include "M&M's for Mia and Maci." (This is in addition to a fund for the family set up by the Lindbergh Schools Foundation.) Members of the Sperreng MC/PTO will be giving out M&M's candy and taking donations on Saturday, Sept. 7 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Culver’s South County will be serving free frozen custard to all donors.
Anyone interested in volunteering to help at the event should email Gapschbenefitbbq@aol.com or sign up for a time slot online.
Other fundraising efforts by the community include:
- Sperreng student Justin Fisher and Sunset Lanes Bowling Alley are hosting a fundraiser at the bowling alley on Friday, Sept. 6. Stop by between 4 and 6 p.m. for $10 unlimited bowling. Shoes are included.
- LHS' Student Council will offer face painting, an inflatable slide, games for kids and plenty of snacks as they tailgate before the football team's first home game on Friday, Sept. 6. All food sales will be donated to the Gapsch family.
- Custard's 1st Stand, 4599 Telegraph Rd., will have a fundraiser with hot dogs, frozen custard and activities from 1:30-9:30 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 8.
- Concord Elementary mom Angela Palmier will donate her booth fee and 100 percent of all money raised during the Lindbergh Flea Market.
- Sperreng Middle School is hosting "Mixer for Maci," a family-friendly night of dancing, movies and games on Friday, Sept. 20.